The Pros and Cons of Saliva Drug Testing
Research and Analysis done in the area of saliva drug testing reveal that these tests are reliable and accurate. Collection of sample is done with ease and the results are almost instantaneous. However, these drug tests have their own drawbacks and hence this doesn’t emerge out as the best solution for the detection of drugs
Let’s get into the details of the advantages offered by the saliva drug test procedure.
1. The very big advantage of saliva drug test is that the sample collection is very easy. Unlike urine test where the sample collection is done in privacy necessitating the toilet facilities to be present at the venue of the drug test, saliva drug tests offer the convenience of collecting the sample in public posing no embarrassments. Saliva tests make use of a scrub. Scrub is similar to a toothbrush. A swab in the scrub replaces the bristles of a toothbrush. The scrub is dabbed back and forth between the gums and the lower part of the cheek for a couple of minutes and the saliva specimen is collected with ease.
2. The chances of adulteration are very minimal. Since saliva samples can be done in public, the examinee can be asked to collect the specimen in the presence of supervising personnel without violating the individual rights of the examinee. Test samples that are collected in privacy are prone for adulteration. This in turn leads to false test results.
3. The results of the saliva drug tests can be obtained instantly by using test kits available in the market. This is in contrast to the blood tests where a skilled person is required for sample collection. Even after getting the sample, the specimen has to be sent to the laboratory for further testing which in turn requires a lot of time.
4. Saliva drug tests are inexpensive since there is no complex process involved. Blood tests prove to be costly when compared to the saliva tests that are used to detect the presence of cocaine.
5. Saliva tests prove to be the ideal solution when it comes to on-duty screening. When an employer intends to test his employees for the influence of drug while at work, saliva test proves to be the perfect solution under such circumstances. Vehicle drivers can be put to these tests before commencing their trips. This in turn reduces the chances of road accidents effectively saving the lives of many.
On a detailed analysis, the saliva drug tests have the following disadvantages associated with them
1. Drug consumption within the past 24 hour period can only be detected via the saliva tests. The examinee’s history of drug consumption cannot be revealed via the saliva tests. If the drug consumption within the last 3 month time frame is to be detected, hair follicle drug test has been proven to be the most viable and practical solution.